My thoughts and reviews on books, TV shows and whatever else may come up. I have a lot of hobbies and interests and they may come up from time to time, but this will mostly be book and TV reviews and discussions

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bones

Just started watching Bones and we are about 12 episodes into season 1. Each summer when the reruns start I try to find a show the wife and I have missed so we have something to watch over the summer. I am not sure if we never tried Bones because of our CSI aversion. Maybe it just was on at the same time of another show we watched before we had the Tivo. For whatever reason, I had never seen an episode of Bones until this season.

And it is excellent. One thing I like in my shows is a little character development. I just can't do all story like a Law and Order (which is an excellent show, just not my cup of tea.) But the chemistry between agent Booth and Bones (anthropologist Temprance Brennan) is mesmerizing. They argue and bicker and fight and somehow still solve the case. The setup is pretty typical where there is one case per week that is usually wrapped up, but the character developments stories and themes trickle over from week to week. It is still too early to tell but it appears there will be some longer character story arcs that will work themselves through the show.

It seems most shows are falling into this format or the serial format where every show basically begins directly after or reasonably after the previous episode. So with every show basically doing the same thing, it is all about executing the formula and the characters. And Bones nails it.

So far some of the supporting characters around the two main leads seem a little weaker, but they could have potential. It really doesn't matter though, because the leads steal the show. And the cases aren't half bad either.

If you like police procedural 'sor are a CSI or Law and Order junkie, you really should give this show a try if you haven't already. And if you are like me and are now five seasons behind, with the crap that is on during the summer, this may be a great way to get a TV fix until the new seasons begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment